All inbound Officers will report to Navy Region Southwest Transient Personnel Unit (TPU), Building 3142, first floor, east wing, Officer Processing Office, Monday through Friday from 0730 to 1600. Officers checking in after hours will check-in with the TPU Officer of the Deck, and follow-up the next working day with Officer Processing Office. There are three phases to the check-in process. For additional information please call (619) 556-3182.
Phase One - TPU Officer Processing Divsion:
•All Officers will be required to report in the Uniform of the Day, Navy Working Uniform.
•All Officers will be added into the TPU’s Tracking System.
Phase Two - Personnel Support Detachment:
•Officers awaiting further transfer to a ship underway or on deployment will be gained by PSD and scheduled for a portcall as soon as possible.
•Officers retiring or separating will be gained by PSD and will be directed to report to PSD for separation/retirement appointment. Please see below information regarding Separations/Retirement.
•Separation/Retirement processing requires 20 business days.
Phase Three – Instructions:
•All Officers will muster daily in the Executive Assistant’s Office in uniform. Muster times are Monday – Thursday, 0830 and Friday 0930.
All Officers are subject to recall for Admin Boards and/or Courts-Martial cases unless they have already executed separation leave or PTDY.
If submitting a leave chit, it will be routed through TPU's chain of command for approval regardless of prior approved leave.
•Officers not in the Separation/Retirement process will be subject to TAD assignments for gainful employment while attached to TPU.
SEPARATION/RETIREMENT INFORMATION FOR OFFICERS
Officers that are retiring/separating will be gained by TPU. The gain process typically takes around 7 working days It is important to ensure that the previous command has submitted the officer’s loss. PSD cannot begin processing the DD214 until the member is gained by TPU.
Once the member is gained, they will await the processing of the DD214 by PSD. A working copy of the DD214 must be reviewed on NSIPS to allow the member to provide any documentation or submit any corrections needed. Once the DD214 is marked as accurate, it is ready for final review and signing in BOL.
At least 20 business days are necessary before beginning terminal leave or PTDY in order to allow adequate time for the entire above process.
Lodging requirements will be arranged by the member. For BOQ, utilize Navy Gateway Inn and Suites (NGIS) at dodlodging.net. If no rooms are available, member may book reservations through Navy Lodge or other outside hotel. Per Diem will not be issued to individuals during separation processing for lodging. BAH will be based on original separation authority and may not reflect BAH for San Diego.
1. SEPARATION/RETIREMENT ORDER (Stamped for both check out from last command and check in at TPU)
2. APPROVED SEPARATION REQUEST (If TPU is not the original separation authority this request must be submitted via message traffic. Allow 10 business days for message processing and response).
3. DD FORM 2586-VERIFICATION OF MILITARY EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING (VMET))/JOINT SERVICE TRANSCRIPTS (JST)
4. ORIGINAL CONTRACT, DD 4 (Required if previously enlisted)
5. ALL PREVIOUS DD214s (Required if previously enlisted)
6. NPPSC QUESTIONNAIRE 1990/1, SEPARATION PHYSICAL/AWARDS (Pg 1 and 2)
7. DENTAL MEMO OR STAMP STATING MEMBER WAS PROVIDED COMPLETE DENTAL EXAM AND ALL APPROPRIATE DENTAL SERVICES AND TREATMENT WITHIN 90 DAYS PRIOR TO SEPARATION
8. PRESEP COUNSELING CHECKLIST (DD 2648)
9. OFFICER RESERVE OATH OF SERVICE (If requested or required to enter reserves)
10. ORIGINAL MEDICAL AND DENTAL RECORDS
11. UPDATED SGLI/PAGE 2 (with SBP election statement in Remarks Section of PG 2)
12. DECORATIONS/AWARDS LISTING (i.e. MEDALS, RIBBONS, ETC.)
13. FITREP (SEPS ONLY)
*ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RETIREES:
1. SURVIVOR BENEFIT PLAN, SBP. Form DD 2656 (Retirements only).
2. FLEET RESRVE MESSAGE.
Officer Separation Retirement Checklist
Officer Separation Retirement Information Sheet