An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Gifts of Travel

Federal government employees may be able to accept gifts of transportation, lodging, meals, and other incidental expenses from a non-Federal entity to attend meetings or other appropriate events in connection with their federal employment. All gifts of travel must be approved by the President, Naval Postgraduate School (for NPS employees) PRIOR TO commencing travel. Application for acceptance of travel funds is made on the form entitled “Gifts of Travel from Non-Federal Sources”. Payments for travel expenses may be made in kind or if by check, must be made payable to the “U.S. Treasury”. It is preferable that applications be received at least two weeks prior to commencement of the employee’s travel. Once the travel is completed, the employee should submit the same form with the actual expenses that were incurred and paid by the non-Federal entity.

You may obtain more information from the Office of Government Ethics’ publication entitled “Gifts of Travel and Other Benefits” and "And Gifts of Travel SOP".

Additionally, the Office of Government Ethics’ website offers a substantial amount of information on this topic as well as other ethics issues that confront a federal employee. Visit the OGE website.


Google Translation Disclaimer

  • Google Translate, a third party service provided by Google, performs all translations directly and dynamically.
  • Commander, Navy Region Southwest, has no control over the features, functions, or performance of the Google Translate service.
  • The automated translations should not be considered exact and should be used only as an approximation of the original English language content.
  • This service is meant solely for the assistance of limited English-speaking users of the website.
  • Commander, Navy Region Southwest, does not warrant the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of any information translated.
  • Some items cannot be translated, including but not limited to image buttons, drop down menus, graphics, photos, or portable document formats (pdfs).
  • Commander, Navy Region Southwest, does not directly endorse Google Translate or imply that it is the only language translation solution available to users.
  • All site visitors may choose to use similar tools for their translation needs. Any individuals or parties that use Commander, Navy Region Southwest, content in translated form, whether by Google Translate or by any other translation services, do so at their own risk.
  • IE users: Please note that Google Translate may not render correctly when using Internet Explorer. Users are advised to use MS Edge, Safari, Chrome, or Firefox browser to take full advantage of the Google Translate feature.
  • The official text of content on this site is the English version found on this website. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in translated text, refer to the English version on this website, it is the official version.

Commander, Navy Region Southwest   |   750 Pacific Highway   |   San Diego, CA 92132
Official U.S. Navy Website