The Transportation Incentive Program (TIP) is all about commuting and saving you money. TIP covers most types of commuting. Members of the TIP program commute at no cost or greatly reduced fares! You can save up to $1,500 or more in annual commuting costs.
What types of transportation could I use for my commute?
Most forms of mass transportation are eligible for TIP. Vanpool, COASTER, the Bus, and Trolley are little or no cost to you.
What are the eligibility requirements?
All active duty Navy and Marine Corps personnel, Navy civilians and Non-Appropriated Fund (NAF) employees are eligible. Members of Reserve Components serving on active duty for more than 30 days are also eligible for the program. Contractors are not eligible for the TIP benefit.
How does TIP cover my commuting expenses?
You will receive a debit card on which you can receive monthly mass transit benefits electronically. Upon registering for TIP benefits, and once all necessary processing stages have been approved, you will receive a TRANService Debit Card to use to pay for your mass transit. You debit card will be reloaded electronically as long as you continue to qualify for TIP benefits. This debit card is a Visa-branded electronic fare media card provided by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
How do I sign up?
1. Sign up online at https://tips.navy.mil. Follow these steps:
2. Login and create an account with your CAC card at https://tips.navy.mil
3. Click on:
Login for Participants and New Applicants
receiving/requesting Mass Transportation Benefits
Sign in as Participant
If you are participating or wish to participate in the Transportation Incentive Program and do not have an account, click here to register.
4. Select your Supervisor. Your supervisor will receive an email asking them to go to the same website, create an account, and certify their employee's eligibility for TIP benefits. Your surpervisor's online verification is sent to the reviewing official at the installation/command.
5. Also, you will select the installation for the Reviewing Official. Once selected, the Reviewing Official's name, email, and phone number will populate the application. Your will want to copy this information for future contact purposes.
6. Once the reviewing official reviews and approves the application, expect your debit card to be received at the installation/command in 6-8 weeks.
7. You will get email notification when cards are available for distribution. If you have additional questions or need help, please contact your TIP reviewing official.
What are the responsibilities of the participants?
TIP participants must use mass transit or rideshare at least 50 percent of the commuting days each calendar month. TIP participants commit to using mass transit and will be required to prove their ridership; failure to certify for monthly benefits may result in applicants being withdrawn from this benefit program. If a participant has an assigned parking space on base they must release the space upon TIP participation approval. TIP is a benefit, not an entitlement. Any kind of misuse or abuse of the Navy TIP may result in criminal prosecution and/or disciplinary action.
Who manages the program?
The Transportation Incentive Program (TIP) is a Department of the Navy Fringe Benefit Program implemented by Department of Defense Instruction 1000.27, and is designed to reduce Federal employees’ contribution to traffic congestion and air pollution, and to expand their commuting alternatives by offering fare media to qualified applicants.
Who is ineligible for TIP benefits?
Unless currently employed on-base by the Department of Navy the following are not eligible to participate:
· Government Contractors
· Reservists who are on weekend drilling/training (considered to be inactive duty)
· ROTC students
· Overseas members/employees outside the ONCR (Outside the National Capital Region) coverage areas
· Foreign exchange military personnel
· Otherwise eligible applicants who reside on the same base/installation as their work location